WWE’s Stomping Grounds 2019 pay-per-view took place on June 23rd at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA.
Stomping Grounds Kickoff Show:
– Jonathan Coachman welcomes us to the Tacoma Dome, with his Kickoff show panel of Charlie Caruso, David Otunga, and WWE Hall of Famer Booker T.
– The steel cage lowers around the ring, and Booker T and Charlie Caruso step inside to talk about the Kofi vs. Ziggler steel cage match tonight.
– Back at the Kickoff Show panel table, Big E and Xavier Woods join and give their take on Kofi’s match tonight.
– Baron Corbin does an interview backstage where he says Seth Rollins has changed and he’s a bad person now.
– Tag Team Champions Daniel Bryan and Eric Rowan are backstage for an interview. Referee Charles Robinson accidentally walks into the frame and Bryan freaks out at him. Bryan says they’re trying to save the tag division from people like Heavy Machinery. Rowan say Otis and Tucker would set a bad example as as Champions, and it would be like Idiocracy. Bryan says people should be thanking them for stopping the Tag division from being a joke.
– Shane McMahon and Drew McIntyre are backstage to cut a promo on Roman Reigns. Shane says he can already smell the victory. Drew says Reigns is too emotional, and all Drew does is tell the truth, which is that he will disfigure Reigns tonight.
– Tony Nese (c) vs. Akira Tozawa vs. Drew Gulak: The WWE Cruiserweight Championship is on the line in this one. The opening bell sounds and Gulak starts off strong and tries to clear the ring. Nese comes back and throws Gulak outside then goes to work on Tozawa. Gulak runs back in and Nese hits a German suplex on him. They fight out to ringside, and Nese hits a superkick on Gulak on the floor. Tozawa hits a suicide dive on Nese, then he gets back on the apron and hits a dive on Gulak. Back in the ring, Tozawa hits a missile dropkick on Nese and pins, but Gulak breaks it up. Tozwa throws Gulak back outside, then Tozawa goes to the top rope. Nese runs up and punches Nese off the top rope, then he hits a kick. Nese follows up with a knee to the ribs for a two count. Gulak gets back in the ring and starts taking control of the match. Gulak looks for a submission on the Champion, but Tozawa breaks it up with a senton bomb off the top on Gulak. Nese and Tozawa fight in the corner, then Gulak gets involved. Gulak drops Tozawa, and then Nese hits an inverted piledriver on Gulak, but Tozawa breaks up the pin with a running knee to the face of the Champion. Nese comes back with a powerbomb on Tozawa in the corner for a two count. All three men fight near the ropes, and Tozawa kicks Nese off the apron. Tozawa turns around into Gulak, who hits him with his finisher for the three count, and we have a new Cruiserweight Champion.
Winner & new WWE Cruiserweight Champion: Drew Gulak
– Becky Lynch is shown backstage walking to the gorilla position, as the Kickoff Show comes to a close and the pay-per-view begins.
WWE Stomping Grounds results:
– Michael Cole welcomes us to the pay-per-view where it’s time to “kick ass and take names.”
– Becky Lynch (c) vs. Lacey Evans: Becky starts off strong in this one and connects with some kicks on the challenger. Becky controls the opening moments until Lacey grabs Becky by the hair for a cheap shot. Lacey throws Becky into the ring post back-first and then kicks her in the face. Lacey starts working over Becky with kicks to the body, and Becky appears to be selling a rib injury. Becky mounts a comeback with a kick on Lacey, and then she looks for the Disarm Her, but Lacey fights out. Becky misses a shot in the corner and Lacey hits a big dropkick in the corner for a two count. Becky starts fighting back and they trade strikes now. Becky comes back with a t-bone suplex for a two count on the challenger. Becky misses a shot and Lacey fights back. Lacey looks for a slingshot elbow drop, but Becky blocks it with her knees. Becky looks for a slam, but Lacey escapes and fires back with an eblw ot the face. Lacey hits a bulldog and a kick for a two count. Lacey goes up top but Becky pulls her down and puts her in the Disarm Her. Lacey taps out and Becky retains the RAW Women’s Title via submission.
Winner & still RAW Women’s Champion: Becky Lynch
– We see a video montage of Ali walking through alley ways saving people from being attacked by muggers and saving a woman from drinking beer.
– Paul Heyman walks out of Baron Corbin’s locker room and he does a brief interview. Heyman says both the WWE Champion and the Universal Champion are here tonight, and that presents an opportunity for his client Brock Lesnar. Heyman walks off, then Corbin exits his locker room. Corbin asks the female interview if she’s hanging around his locker room for something more than interview. She asks if Corbin has picked his referee. Corbin says he doesn’t need help beating Rollins, he just needs a competent referee.
– Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. Big E & Xavier Woods: Owens starts off strong with several superkicks on Woods right out of the gate. Owens knocks Big E off the apron, and he hits a frogsplash off the top for a two count. Sami Zayn tags in for the Blue Thunder Bomb on Woods and Woods kicks out at two count. Owens tags back in and hits another frogsplash off the top for another two count. Zayn tags back in to continue the offense on Woods. Owens and Zayn continue to trade tags and beat down Woods. Big E gets involved and they look for the double team on Zayn, but Owens breaks it up and dumps Big E back outside. Zayn hits a big boot on Woods, then Owens hits the Pop Up Powerbomb on Woods. Big E breaks up the pin attempt, then he levels Zayn with a lariat. Owens drops Big E with a superkick, then Woods hits the spinning elbow to the face on Owens. Woods and Owens are the legal men and continue to fight, while Big E spears Sami out to ringside off the apron. Woods and Owens fight to the top rope, but Owens knocks Woods down and then hits a version of the Stone Cold Stunner on Woods for the three count.
Winners: Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn
– Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross are backstage talking about Bayley. Nikki says Bayley screwed her over on Monday, and she can’t wait to see Alexa take it to Bayley tonight.
– Samoa Joe (c) vs. Ricochet: Joe’s U.S. Title is on the line in this one. They brawl out to ringside where Joe gets the upper hand. Back in the ring, Joe hits a side suplex and a running suplex for a two count. Joe follows up with a splash in the corner and then the Pele kick for another two count. Joe continues the punishment on the challenger with a fight hand and then a sit-out powerbomb for another two count. Ricochet dodges a shot from Joe with a backflip, then he hits an enziguri kick on Joe. Ricochet follows up with more strikes and a hurricanrana. Ricochet goes up top hits a flying clothesline, then Joe rolls outside. Ricochet follows up with a corkscrew suicide dive on Joe at ringside. Back in the ring, Ricochet goes up top and hits a missile dropkick on the Champion. Ricochet hits a springboard moonsault off the middle rope for a two count. Ricochet misses a shot and Joe answers with a spinning powerslam for a two count. Joe drops Ricochet with a clothesline for another two count. Ricochet tries to come back with a kick, but Joe catches it and flips Ricochet back onto the mat. Joe locks in the Coquina Clutch, but Ricochet is able to escape and drop Joe’s neck across the top rope. Ricochet looks for the 630 splash but Joe rolls out of the way. Joe misses a clothesline and Ricochet drops him. Ricochet goes back up top and hits the 630 for the three count, and we have a new United States Champion.
Winner & new U.S. Champion: Ricochet
– Heavy Machinery vs. Daniel Bryan & Rowan (c): Bryan and Rowan’s SmackDown Tag Team Titles are on the line in this one. Bryan gets a big ovation from his hometown crowd. Rowan and Otis start this one off as the crowd chants for Bryan. Bryan waves Rowan over and tags in. Bryan and Otis circle each other in the ring now. Bryan starts hitting Otis with several kicks to the leg. Otis blocks one and slams Bryan down. They lock up and Otis throws Bryan back again. Otis hits a gorilla press slam on Bryan, then Tucker tags in for a double team stalling vertical suplex for a two count. Tucker continues the offense on Bryan until Bryan escapes a suplex attempt, then Rowan tags in. Tucker didn’t see the tag, and Rowan blindsides Tucker with a cross body. Rowan hits a couple splashes on Tucker in the corner, and then a dropkick for a two count. Rowan continues beating on Tucker, then Bryan tags in. Bryan starts working over Tucker’s knees, then he tags Rowan back in. Rowan headbutts Tucker down, and he starts working over Tucker’s left knee. Rowan hits a running splash for a two count. The crowd chants “Drive a Prius.” Rowan misses a spear on Tucker in the corner, then Bryan and Otis tag in. Otis starts cleaning house and he hits a series of running shoulder tackles on Bryan. Otis hits a spinning powerslam on Bryan, then backs him into the corner. Otis looks for a running splash in the corner, but Bryan ducks and trips Otis into the middle turnbuckle. Bryan backs up and hits a series of running knee strikes to Otis in the corner. Otis catches Bryan on one and hits a sit-out powerbomb for a two count. Otis goes to the middle rope and looks for the Vader Bomb on Bryan, but Bryan rolls out of the way and Otis crashes down. Bryan hits the Yes Kicks on Otis, but Otis starts hulking up. Otis gets to his feet as Bryan continues throwing kicks. Otis catches a kick and hits a t-bone suplex on Bryan. Otis hits a running plash in the corner, and Bryan is down. Otis hits The Caterpillar on Bryan, then he tags in Tucker. Otis catapults Bryan into Tucker for a belly to belly suplex, but Rowan breaks up the pin. Rowan dumps Otis outside and then goes back to the apron. Bryan hits some kicks to the leg of Tucker, and Tucker fights back with right hands. Bryan misses a kick and Tucker hits a back suplex on Bryan. Tucker goes to the top rope for a moonsault, and Bryan moves out of the way but Tucker’s legs still land on Bryan. Rowan and Otis tag in and they start trading shots in the middle of the ring. Otis slams Rowan down, but Bryan was able to tag himself in. Tucker tags in and drops Bryan. Tucker goes to the top rope, but instead of going for Bryan, Tucker takes out Rowan on the ringside floor. As soon as Tucker gets back in the ring, Bryan rolls him up for the three count.
Winners & still SmackDown Tag Team Champions: Daniel Bryan & Rowan
– Bayley (c) vs. Alexa Bliss: Nikki Cross is at ringside in Alexa’s corner. The opening bell sounds and Bayley and Alexa immediately brawl into the corner and trade strikes. Bayley gets the upper hand and hits a running knee strike for a two count. Bayley hits the snake-eyes on Alexa in the corner for a two count. Alexa turns it around and starts teeing off on Bayley in the corner. Alexa chokes Bayley over the middle rope, then applies a rear chin lock. Alexa tries to keep the Champion grounded, but Bayley fights back and hits a running cross body for a two count. Alexa comes back with a slap across the face to the Champion. Bayley fires up now and drops Alexa, then hits the rolling thunder elbow drop. Alexa fights back and dumps Bayley outside, then throws Bayley into a ring post. Back in the ring, Bayley reverses a shot and hits a back suplex. They fight out to ringside again and Nikki causes a distraction. Bayley hits a suicide dive on Nikki on the floor, and it looks like Bliss shoved Nikki in the way of the dive to save herself. Alexa then hits a sunset flip bomb on Bayley on the floor. Back in the ring, Alexa goes up top. Nikki runs in the ring to go after Bayley, but the ref chases her off. Alexa goes for the Twisted Bliss, but Bayley gets her knees up to block it. Bayley follows up with the belly to belly suplex for the three count.
Winner & still SmackDown Women’s Champion: Bayley
– Nikki gets in the ring earlier and tries to console Alexa as Bayley celebrates. Alexa looks confused by what happened.
– AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, and Luke Gallows all approach Ricochet backstage to congratulate him on his U.S. Title win. AJ says he’ll see Ricochet tomorrow.
– Drew McIntyre vs. Roman Reigns: Shane McMahon is at ringside in Drew’s corner. Reigns starts off strong and throttles Drew in the corner, then dumps him outside. Shane causes a distraction, leading to Drew turning things around on the ringside floor against Reigns. Drew whips Reigns into the ring steps, then throws Reigns back in the ring. Drew slams Reigns in the corner then hits him with chops and punches. Drew fishhooks Reigns down to the mat and pummels on him. Reigns starts to come back, but Shane gets involved again behind the ref’s back, and Drew capitalizes with a slam on Reigns for a two count. Drew hits another suplex for a two count, and then a running lariat for another two count. Drew puts Reigns in a surfboard-type submission, then he transitions to a modified STF submission. Shane tries to distract the referee from ringside. Reigns fights up and looks for a Samoan drop, but Drew escapes. Drew misses a shot and Reigns successfully hits the Samoan drop this time. Reigns and McIntyre slowly get up trade right hands in the middle of the ring now. Reigns gets the upper hand and backs Drew into the corner for a series of clotheslines. Reigns runs the ropes and hits a big boot on McIntyre. Shane gets on the apron for the distraction, and Reigns superman punches him down. Reigns goes outside and nails Shane again. The distraction leads to Drew getting Reigns at ringside, and Drew hits the reverse Alabama Slam on Reigns onto the announce table. Drew takes Reigns back in the ring for more offense. Drew takes Reigns to the top turnbuckle and chops him on the chest on the way up. Reigns fights back with a right hand, and Drew is how hanging upside down in the corner. Drew sits up and trades strikes right Reigns on the turnbuckle now. Drew latches on to Reigns and they go to the top rope, and Drew hits a superplex for a two count. Drew looks for a big boot and Reigns dodges it, but Drew follows up with a headbutt and Reigns is down. Drew goes up top and comes flying down, but Reigns superman punches Drew out of mid-air for a two count. Reigns looks for a spear, but Drew kicks him. Reigns comes back and drops Drew again, but now Shane gets involved and pulls the referee out to ringside. Shane shoves the referee on his head, then Shane gets in the ring and cheap-shots Reigns. Shane stomps on Reigns in the corner, then Shane climbs the opposite corner and hits the coast to coast dropkick on Reigns. Shane rolls outside and throws the referee back in the ring. Drew covers Reigns for a two count, and Drew and Shane can’t believe it. Drew yells at Reigns to get up, and Drew looks for a big boot, but Reigns dodges it and hits the superman punch. Reigns then superman punches Shane off the apron, and he hits the spear on Drew for the three count.
Winner: Roman Reigns
– The cage lowers from the ceiling, and our WWE Championship match is about to begin.
– Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler: This one is a steel cage match for the WWE Title. Kofi looks for the Trouble In Paradise early on, but Ziggler avoids it. They talk some trash and Ziggler slaps Kofi across the face. Ziggler tries to run up the cage to escape, but Kofi pulls him back down to the mat. Ziggler looks for a superkick but Kofi dodges it and drops Ziggler. Ziggler fights back and throws Kofi up against the cage wall. Kofi hits a headbutt, but Ziggler shuts him down and pummels on him in the corner. Ziggler looks for a splash in the corner, but Kofi blocks it with a kick to Ziggler’s face. Kofi follows up with a springboard dropkick off the middle rope. Kofi starts mounting a comeback and repeatedly throws Ziggler into the cage wall. Ziggler comes back with a kick and looks for the Fameasser, but Kofi dodges it and throws Ziggler into the cage wall again for a two count. Kofi starts climbing the cage, but Ziggler follows and grabs his leg. Kofi kicks him away and then hits a springboard cross body on Ziggler. They climb up the cage again and fight on the top of the cage. They both tumble back down to the mat. They’re slow to get up, but Kofi hits the SOS on Ziggler. Kofi covers but Ziggler kicks out at two. Kofi looks for the Trouble In Paradise, but Ziggler dodges it. Kofi seems to be selling a knee injury now. Ziggler slams Kofi’s knee to the mat and look for a knee bar. Kofi fights up, but Ziggler superkicks Kofi. Kofi goes down, but he almost falls right out of the cage door. Ziggler catches Kofi and doesn’t let him fall out. Ziggler hits another superkick but Kofi kicks out at two. Ziggler looks for another superkick, but Kofi blocks it with a kick of his own. Kofi latches on to Ziggler with a front face lock, but Ziggler manages to get near the cage door. Ziggler fights off Kofi and he crawls for the open cage door, but Kofi runs and dives over Ziggler, through the middle ropes, and Kofi hits the ringside floor before Ziggler. Kofi is declared the winner, and Ziggler can’t believe it.
Winner & still WWE Champion: Kofi Kingston
– Kofi does an interview on the stage, and Big E and Woods come out to celebrate with him. Kofi says Ziggler is a heck of a competitor, but he’s walking out still WWE Champion tonight.
– Drew McIntyre and Shane McMahon are shown walking through the hallway backstage. They stop for a brief interview, and they’re not happy.
– Baron Corbin comes out for his match. As he steps in the ring, he gets in the ring announcer’s face and makes him read a special introduction off a card. Corbin gets an extended ring introduction listing all of his accolades.
– Seth Rollins (c) vs. Baron Corbin: Rollins comes out to the ring, and he grabs a chair and a microphone from ringside. Rollins tells Corbin to get on with it and bring out his special guest referee, and if they try to take his Universal Title he’ll treat them like everyone else. Corbin says after much deliberation, he chose his special guest referee Lacey Evans. Rollins’ Universal Title is on the line in this one. Rollins doesn’t look happy, and Lacey comes to the ring and gets in Rollins’ face. Corbin attacks Rollins from behind before the opening bell and nails Rollins with the steel chair. After four or five shots, Lacey takes the steel chair, and she calls for the opening bell. Corbin starts off with a back suplex for a pin attempt, but Rollins gets out and rolls outside to regroup. Corbin takes Rollins back in the ring, and Rollins starts fighting back with right hands. Corbin shuts him down with a running clothesline. Corbin looks for another one, but Seth fights back with chops and right hands. Seth misses a shot and Corbin comes back with a DDT. Corbin takes Rollins into the corner and hits some right hands. Corbin looks for a superplex, but Seth fights him off. Seth misses a shot and Corbin hits a punch to the throat. Corbin follows up with more right hands until Seth starts to fight back. Corbin misses a clothesline and Rollins drops him with an enziguri kick. Rollins and Corbin trade punches and chops now. Rollins hits a spinning elbow to the face of corbin, and then hits the Sling Blade. Rollins goes to the middle rope and hits the Blockbuster on the challenger. Corbin gets up and Rollins clotheslines him out to ringside. Rollins follows up with the suicide dive on Corbin, then he throws Corbin back in the ring for a springboard flying knee to the face. Rollins follows up with a superkick and pins, but Lacey counts very slowly and Corbin gets the shoulder up before three. Rollins tries to springboard off the top rope for a move, but Corbin punches him out of mid-air. Corbin tries to slam Rollins on the apron, but Rollins escapes and powerbombs Corbin off the apron through the announce table at ringside. Rollins rolls back in the ring and yells at Lacey to start counting out Corbin, and she does, slowly. Lacey reaches the eight count, and then she calls over the ring announcer and declares that there are now no count-outs in this match. Rollins goes out to ringside and throws Corbin back in the ring. Seth kicks Corbin and then looks for the curb stomp, but Corbin dodges it. Corbin hits an uppercut on Rollins, but Rollins comes back and dumps Corbin out to ringside. Rollins looks for a dive, but Corbin catches him and slams him. Back in the ring, Corbin hits a chokeslam for a two count. Corbin grabs Rollins by the legs, but Rollins escapes. Corbin misses a shot in the corner and Rollins nails him with a superkick. Rollins follows up with a frogsplash off the top and pins. Lacey starts counting, but she stops at two because of a supposed shoulder injury. Rollins is not happy. Rollins and Corbin fight out to ringside, where Corbin grabs a steel chair and repeatedly nails Rollins with it. Lacey doesn’t call for a DQ. Back in the ring, Corbin continues to assault Rollins with the steel chair. Lacey declares to the ring announcer that this is a No DQ match. Corbin lays the chair on the mat and looks for a DDT, but Rollins fights out. Rollins hits a Falcon Arrow on Corbin on to the chair on the mat. Rollins pins, but Lacey doesn’t count the pin. Rollins gets in Lacey’s face, and Lacey slaps him across the face. Lacey slaps Rollins and then kicks him to the midsection. Corbin comes over and Rollins hits him, but then Lacey hits a low blow on Rollins from behind. Corbin hits the End of Days on Rollins, but then Becky Lynch runs out and tackles Lacey and pummels on her. Becky beats down Lacey at ringside and suplexes her into the fan barricade. More referees come out to break up the brawl between Becky and Lacey. Referee John Cone gets in the ring now to take over. Corbin picks up Rollins, but Rollins breaks free and superkicks him. Rollins follows up with the curb stomp for the three count.
Winner & still Universal Champion: Seth Rollins
– Becky gets in the ring after the match to celebrate with Rollins. They hug in the ring as we go to replays and Stomping Grounds goes off the air.